C PROGRAMMING FOR PROBLEM SOLVING
Semester : I/II
Course Code : 18CPS13/23
CIE Marks : 40 SEE Marks : 60
c programming for problem solving
Module – 1
Introduction to Computer Hardware and Software: Computer generations, computer types, bits, bytes and words, CPU, Primary memory, Secondary memory, ports and connections, input devices, output devices, Computers in a network, Network hardware, Software basics, software types.
Overview of C: Basic structure of C program, executing a C program. Constant, variable and data types, Operators and expressions,
Module – 2
Managing Input and output operations. Conditional Branching and Loops. Example programs, Finding roots of a quadratic equation, computation of binomial coefficients, plotting of Pascal’s triangle.
Module – 3
Arrays: Arrays (1-D, 2-D), Character arrays and Strings, Basic Algorithms: Searching and Sorting Algorithms (Linear search, Binary search, Bubble sort and Selection sort.
Module – 4
User-Defined Functions and Recursion. Example programs, Finding Factorial of positive integers and Fibonacci Series.
Module – 5
Structure and Pointers, Preprocessor Directives
REFERENCE BOOKS RECOMMENDED BY VTU:
- Sumitabha Das, Computer Fundamentals & C Programming, Mc Graw Hill Education.
- Gary J Bronson, ANSI Programming, 4th Edition, Ceneage Learning.
- Dey and Ghosh, Programming in C, 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press.
- Vikas Gupta: Computer Concepts and C programming, Dreamtech Press 2013.
- R S Bichakar, Programming with C, University Press, 2012.
- V Rajaraman: Computer Programming in C, PHI, 2013.
- Basavarah S. Anami, Shanmukhappa A Angadi, Sunilkumar S. Manvi, Computer Concepts and C programming: A Holistic Approach to learning C, Second edition, PHI India, 2010.